Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What... more French

Ah backtracking. It had to be done in this case. Quebec City was as far east as my bus pass would allow me. It seems that Greyhound doesn't service any further. Their map says they do through an affiliate, but their bus pass doesn't. I guess if Quebec wants a reason to succeed from Canada they need only look to this as a valid reason. Think of that for a campaign slogan for the separatists. 'We should separate because Greyhound doesn't want to drive there.'

Mind you what happens with Prince Edward Island, and the Newfie's if that to occur. Would they go with Quebec? Canada I suspect would tell them to keep the Newfie's. At first Quebec would relish the opportunity to change the road signs to French, but then as time went on they would just get annoyed 'as the french do in their own way' with there not being anything but cold weather. And well Anne of Green Gables on PEI. Gone, that'd have to be St Anne of Le Bleu Gables, or thereabouts. Name is currently too English.

Anyway where was I. On the way backward to Montreal. Previously I only stopped momentarily in Montreal. enough time to buy an overpriced bus stop quality sandwich, and back on board a bus. Montreal is French no doubt about it, just not as French as Quebec City. Only issue is that the bits of French they lost were some of bits I like, big bowls of coffee. Although, there were less French tourist. That's a positive.


Montreal's historical sights don't seem as quaint as Quebec. Sure there's the regulation churches on nearly every third block. But everyone has a limit to how many churches they can see and enjoy. They're big on public art in Montreal. Apparently 1% of all new constructions etc must include this piece of art. What is art really is subjective. But really I'm an accountant so not nearly the qualified person to criticise.

Highlight of the touring was a bike tour of the city organised by the hostel. Yeah, again using the pent up energy. By the end of the day I believe we had covered much of the city crossing the islands, riding on the Formula 1 track, and the touristy markets. Just to top it off though two of us took the opportunity to keep riding after. Took the bikes up the small hill at the back of Montreal for a different view of the skyline. Luckily the designers of the track made the slope easy. Still it did though mean prolonging the uphill battle. Must say I really enjoyed that downhill.


Meanwhile survey results are in. I prefer the poutine on the west coast more than the east coast. Poutine is supposed to be a Quebec-istan thing. All I can say is that the Albertan's made it edible. When they make it with the real cheese curd, yuck, it's horrendous.



Anyway I now find myself on a bus back into Usa. Border guards still don't like me. Apparently I've traveled too much. But I've still got like 8 pages in the passport to fill. They still let me in. Yeay!

So for the moment I've left Canada again. No more crepes, and poutine back to Hamburger and fries land. First stop in USA... hmmm. I'll leave you guessing.

No comments: