Friday, December 08, 2023

Coron Island short side trip

In December 2023 I had the opportunity to add to my exploration of the Philippines. A week away tacked onto a work trip. Within this week I planned out a one side destination trip. Just one island, one day trip. So that I wasn't overwhelmed. And well acknowledging there may be other opportunities for more trips later. Yes the prior trip had physically broken me. I'm no longer 25. 

I chose Coron Island over El Nido. Not because I knew it'd be better. I had seen enough videos comparing the 2 destinations to figure out you'd be okay whichever you choose. Both are a part of the Palawan region. I chose Coron Island because I could fly out of there easier on the time frames I had. A week away meant I needed to be more direct, in, out, no dilly-dally. There was no time for rain delays, nor contingencies if I had to ferry elsewhere.

Accommodation I had read up about had indicated that you need to be in the Town Centre if you want to walk about. And it often was overpriced and under delivered from the reviews I read. Sure you can find luxury resorts. But I am a solo traveler with just a need for a morning coffee. I don't plonk down on a day bed next to a pool,  reading a book, and cocooning myself from the locals. So with that in mind I found a perfect little micro hotel owned and run by a local family. DKs Inn. The owners were wonderful and had been building their hotel. Unfortunately Covid hit just after starting and well they didn't get the opportunity until 2023 to start earning some of their investment back. They had only 4 rooms available at the time I visited and were finishing the next 4 rooms on the level above. Rooms ere tidy and clean, and well they were keen to ensure their hotel was catering to the western market as well as locals. No pool or spa. But that's not where you're there for. Coron is a Island Tour Town. A tour or 2 and perhaps a day in the town is their major market. Long weekenders from Manila,and the internationals bouncing from Coron to El Nido or vice versa.

The island hoping tour I chose was the "Ultimate" tour. This was one of the larger tours you could do taking in as much as possible in one day. I figured splitting into 2 days of island hopping might just have left me nursing a sunburn on the last day. 

So instead of a second boat tour I used the last full day to complete a walk up to the top of the hill. Only I left to hike perhaps an hour before I should have according to my hosts instructions. It was hot, humid, and well 700 stairs were a lot more than I thought. But I made it before nearly eveyone that afternoon. Physical fitness was completed, and I wasn't left as an awkward loitering solo traveler hanging out on a hilltop waiting on a sunset.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful travel that you made