Thursday, August 16, 2007

Monteray... or Monetary payment if you read between the lines

So here I am in Monteray, middle of California. Possibly sleepy beach city. Possibly a good stopover to catch some rest while seeing the sights.

Nope to the rest unless you have a car. Monteray is one of several cities in a little patch of prime tourist area. You see Monteray is near the 17 mile drive. What is this drive you may ask. Well it's the coastal drive to Carmel by the Sea.

So what! What's so good about this place. Why name a place with an elongated name which everyone can clearly see is "on the sea" even without it being in the name. Well most would be familiar with this area without even realising it. Every golfing nut, and PC Golf gamer thanks to the world of electronics.

You see this road has a few golf courses on the way. Call it what you will but I know it more for the US PGA at Pebble Beach. You know that picture perfect course right on the water. Sadly most of us are never going to get more than the PC version as the experience. This is an exclusive course and the road is but a private thoroughfare through the area.

Heck what else would the US do with pristine coastline, but build a golf course. It brings excitement to the local sea life having to dodge the white flying rocks.

Anyway I chose to do the drive by bike. A strange choice for all but the inspired. Anyway I found why the call it a drive. Cause it's long, and worth driving. No average American would ever consider riding it. Even if it did save the $9 dollar roadway fee. By the end of the ride not only did I hate hills (I pushed in protest), but I also hated flat land with wind. Also I hated the sign people cause they made me go up a steep incline and miss a photo, when they sent the 'bike route' away from the main coastal attractions.


I made it to Carmel in around 2 hours. I doubt I did the whole 17 Mile Drive. But hey, I had to return too. Carmel for those interested is nothing more than Art dealer, after Art Dealer. I guess they wanted something for the trophy wives to do while hubby plays golf.

Anyway after getting lost a bit I found my way back to Monteray to find another highlight. Seals. In fact not just normal seals, but seals with little seals too. Oh, how cute. I guess that explains the high prices for golf in the middle of nowhere.

No comments: