Saturday, August 11, 2007

Until the Sun Comes Over Santa Monica Bouvelvard

Los Angeles. Another city on the map of destinations which people have often said they love it, or it blows. Until this trip my experience with LA had been 3 passes through the LA customs at the airport. I just love that customs point, apparently.

In fact LA is one of those cities which knowing what was on offer, did not immediately attract me. Sure its got great weather, the beaches are ok, and there is major tourist draw with Hollywood, Beverley Hills, and Disney. But when it comes down to it, I didn't want to do a tour which passes by star homes, or former homes of the stars. I've seen some rich streets around the world, and its not like some of the most insanely decadent castles of Europe, or the insanely wealthy in Newport.

Hot movie actresses were unlikely to be swept off their feet at the sight of me. So why did I go? What was the attraction? I'm not sure. I guess I couldn't say much without first visiting.


First thing I have to get off my chest is the fact LA is totally messed up when it comes to transport. They love their car. They can give up the car. Their bus system is okay but for the fact there are cars clogging the traffic and no through freeway. It took over 2 hours to travel 1/2 an hour in a normal city. There are way too many roads, too many cars. And well I just can't see it all improving until someone comes along and yells 'do-over' to start again. If only LA had a better rail system, or trams. Just something to pry them away from the steering wheel and their love of their own backyard (Urban living, another forlorn concept). Until then LA is not a livable city.

What did I enjoy of LA? Santa Monica Beach and the walk to Venice Beach. I booked a hostel near the beach. Purposefully to escape from the rat race of the city. To provide an outlet to escape. And this area has provided just that. I can't say the beach is as good as San Diego, but heck San Diego has been a real highlight to visit. I took one day out to just walk from Santa Monica to Venice Beach, and back, then to just lay on the sand again now that the sunburn is wearing off. That was cool to do.


I met other travelers in the hostel and we made plans to explore LA by ourselves using buses. Considering the buses would cost us $5 for the day versus $62 for the full day tour covering stuff I thought useless (remembering previous day tour experiences) I thought this a good option. But alas that all screwed up. The others went out the night before until 5am.
Argh so instead I was left to do it myself as it was my last full day in LA and there was no tomorrow. Why is it that when you decide to leave your fate in others hands they only let you down?

Anyway I recovered that day to cover what I set out to achieve. I travelled to and walked Hollywood Boulevard, and Rodeo Drive. And no there is no expensive purchase from some swank shop on the way anywhere. Call me cheap if you wish, but I put it down to I didn't know what size or colour to get.

Funny occurrence for LA. I got off the bus going to Rodeo drive outside the Beverley Hills Police Department. And no I didn't have a banana on me to do no 'banana in the tailpipe' scene from Beverley Hills Cop. But I took a photo, and made use of the library next door to access the Internet.

No comments: