Saturday, August 18, 2007

But this is California... the most liberal state of the union

So where was I... oh yeah. At bus drivers love to talk to me.

Escaping Monteray I had what can only be described as an interesting ride. I get on the bus to goto Salinas for my connection and the driver hear my accent. Of course he goes 'love your accent, where are you from?'' Of course being friendly I just answer with the standard Australia. It was at this point it got shocking. His next words,'Oh, I love your Prime Minister John Howard.'

And he wasn't kidding. That took me about 2 seconds to realise he wasn't. And I also did answer with an inquisitive,' really, you can have him'. The result was for the next half hour I had the most uncomfortable conversation with an American I've ever had. You see I was stuck on a bus with a Far far far right ultra militaristic religous zealot who had decided not only to tell what he liked about John Howard, but also try to convince me that he was right on everything. I was stuck to. I was in nowhere California getting a bus ride dependent on this guy not getting pissed off with my disagreeing with him. Having 2 heavy suitcases made transferring to the back of the bus not an option. Plus after allowing initial conversation that could offended him further, and me walking the rest of the way without a map.

Basically the conversation started with why he loved little John. That being for supporting the Iraq War. No surprises there. Then he got into the ultra extreme after I mentioned that so many innocent Iraqis have died after he talked of US casualties. His view as I understand it is that he wants to rid the world of all Islamic people. Its us versus them. The only good Islamic person he says is a dead one. Well this set me off. I had been cringing through the talk of Howard, even squirming through some of the talk of right wing politics, but religious based genocide I can't accept. Infuriated I answered with 'so you agree with Hitler' in an attempt to counter his extreme-ism. Of course to him,' that was different'.

Anyway conversation went on further into killing of people. He is a big supporter of the use of land mines in Korea whereas I talked about Cambodia still suffering from them.

He talked about how where-ever America has sent troops 'they've made it better'. I countered with 'what about Africa, Central America, in fact most times the US goes anywhere.' Again these circumstances are 'different' it wasn't the Americans fault. They were already stuffed. Oh, and apparently providing arms to the side that became Al Quedia in Afganistan, well that too was an exclusion.

Anyway thankfully the ride came to an end. I got to the destination and away from the freak as soon as I could. More importantly I was still alive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That guy sounded like a real nutcase.

What a pity Johhny Boy is now out of a job and Georgie Boy W. Bush is one the most unpopular presidents in history.

Payback is a biatch!