Monday, September 17, 2007

Snappy and the South Beach

There is not a better way than to lay on the beach to get over a horrendous bus ride.

Miami, South Beach. Home to the rich and famous. And me too. Be it for only a few days.

I had decided upon South Beach on the basis of there being no cheap accommodation in Memphis for the weekend with some big College Football tournament on. Yes there was a long bus ride getting to Miami, but in the end it was worth it. I had found white sand again. The only thing missing was waves. There ain't gonna be no surfing contest in Miami I can confirm.


Aside from the beach Miami is well known for the Art Deco. A style to its own. This was different and enjoyable to see, but well it wasn't as profound as I thought it would be.


Find of the first day had to be at lunch. The restaurant I stopped in at had a 'Grilled Dolphin Steak Sandwich'. Yes Dolphin my jaw dropped. Here I was thinking do I order 'Flipper' or not. Heck through all my university days when I worked at the restaurant we used to joke about putting Dolphin Steaks onto the special menu board on Aprils Fools Day. We never actually considered serving it. Thankfully the news was that it was not the Bottle Nosed Dolphin we love. It was in fact Mahi-Mahi.


I took the opportunity to do another tour. A tour of the Florida Everglades. Yep the type of tour done by fan boat. And of course no tour would not be complete without the Alligator show. Alas I missed out on trying an alligator burger and settled for the photo instead.


Aside from this tour I spent all my time on the beach. I didn't get to go hang out with the elite in a Miami nightclub. Even if I could have afforded the drink prices, it was impossible to organise a group from the hostel to actually move. But still had a good time there overall. In a way it was a shame I didn't have longer in Miami.

No comments: