Friday, September 14, 2007

Chillin' to the Jazz in New Orleans

New Orleans has always been a destination I've always wanted to get to. The whole Hurricane Katrina issue did originally put a halt on the idea of completing the idea on this trip. But then I got thinking that this would probably be my best chance. And I knew that the French Quarter, the main historical centre and party area of New Orleans, wasn't affected by the floods and storm surge.


Getting to New Orleans has been an adventure. But the goal has been worth it.

The French Quarter lived upto expectation. Although as a single traveler I didn't get into the drunken debauchery of Bourbon Street as much as others did. And before anyone asks no there was no flashing for beads done by anyone in the street. Although it could of happened I didn't see it. But anyway that partying on Bourbon Street is just a part of what makes New Orleans. What I was there for was the Jazz. And the history of it which is very interesting in itself.


First day I arrived into New Orleans I checked into the Hostel and head straight for the Quarter and Jackson Square. Around Jackson Square I happened to luck upon the National Parks Service having a National Park dedicated to the history of Jazz. Cool. Not only was I again in a 'Free' National Parks tour, but it was on Jazz. The national parks Jazz History tour is unique. Usually you associate a National Parks Ranger with either hugging a tree, or hugging a monument, not being a musician dedicated to talking through the history and development of Jazz. Alas my concentration span for the Jazz history was not as long as the actual talk on the development of Jazz. That's the cost of catching those overnight buses to destinations. So I don't know the technical aspects of Jazz after their movement from work songs into the early jazz. ie Before Louis Armstrong.

Of course to protect myself from the spirits I also took the opportunity to consult the Voodoo Reader.


The second day in New Orleans I found another of the 'free' National Parks Service tours. Heck give me a chance I'll sniff them all out. This time it was a walking tour of the French Quarter. The French Quarter is the historical district of New Orleans. New Orleans for much of the early settlement period was a French colony. Until the Louisianna Purchase. Of course there were a few times that the colony came under the Spanish, the British had a crack at it, and gees I think the Dutch even had their hands in there too. Heck New Orleans was popular with its positioning right next to the Mississippi.

Other than this, I really didn't acheive much of note. Heck it was too hot and humid to do much more.

There is one more place though I really enjoyed. A simple as it was I found this cool little Pancake House near the hostel. They fed me well there the 2 days I visited, and more importantly I received great 'Southern hospitality'. They even made sure I tried the Gumbo.

No comments: