Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bavarian Beer Report. The 2nd leg.

Bamberg had completed my quest to find good beer in Bavaria. However it did not mean the end of the Beer in Bavaria. I had one last stop before flying home. Munich.

Now I've been to Munich during Oktoberfest before so I know what to expect of a beer hall. Beer.
However this trip did leave me somewhat incomplete. The Oktoberfest experience was 1 night on a Contiki trip where we arrived in by bus after being depressed a the Dachau Concentration Camp, we had 15 minutes to the Glockenspiel, and then it was straight to Oktoberfest.

Yes, I know most would argue that's all you need to achieve in Munich. But for me it didn't give a sense that I had searched for everything, experienced enough of what it means to be in Munich. So this time I had 2 nights.

The first night was somewhat a repeat of the first experience. Get off the train, see the clock, and then go out for beer. However this time it was different. This time I was in the Hofbrauhaus not Oktoberfest. And I also made it into the Augustiner Brauhaus.

As a result of the night I'm confused as to whether it's the Beer, the Pretzels, or Pretzel sellers I liked in the Hofbrauhaus.


The 2nd day however brought change. This time I saw Munich. Saw the importance of Munich in terms of the history during the 3rd Reich movement, and the episodes of Hitler. And then I found beer at the Hofbrauhaus again, which made me forget the details of just what went on.

Luckily for me times do change in Bavaria once in a while. They make a really good wheat beer in the Hofbrauhaus. Gone are the days where beer could only be made of barley so as to preserve the wheat for making bread. Hence I enjoyed a last beer before returning to Australian soil.

Only I didn't drink it for breakfast like they do. After all in Munich wheat beers is considered "a breakfast beer". Forget toast this is beer country. Luckily I have photos and a memory to say I did more than drink beer in Munich.

And on that note I left Germany. For how long I don't know. As long as there's the promise of good beer, history, and scenery I'm sure I'll make it back.

No comments: