Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What do I know about Bamberg Now

Bamberg was a destination on my "places to visit list" thanks to a television show I watched when I was in Canada. The show was "The Thirsty Traveler". I could ascertain from the TV program that this guy "Kevin Brauch" had the best job in the world. Going around the world in search of alcohol, and then making a TV show around his drinking adventure. Kevin dedicated a whole show to Bavarian Beer. Therefore in honour of this deed I decided that I would dedicate 4 days of my life in this same quest.

After taking a flight and then train out to Bamberg I was left in the able hands of my couchsurfing hosts, Wolfram, Steffi, and Vera. And what wonderful hosts they turned out to be.

It was their dedication to the cause that has demonstrated that Bavarian Beer is good for you.

I am unsure as to why the beer is good for me. But I suspect it is because either

1. it only has 3 ingredients (Water, Barley, and Hops) under laws made in the 1500s. Or
2. because the video at the Franconian Beer Museum told me so.

And if the media tells me so, then it must be right. I am but only an accountant. I am no expert on beer or medical health and therefore dare not question what is right and wrong.

So what did I, a man who can't usually drink more than 2 beers in one session, learn.

1. This is the famous smoked beer, Schlenkerla.


It tastes like beer with smoked bacon. This was the beer I had come for. It did not disappoint. I enjoyed it's quirkiness.

It goes well with Pork Knuckle.



2. If you are undecided on which Ambrausianum beer to try, then try a 3 pack "Beer Tester". With the Wheat Beer, the traditional beer, and the Dunkel (Dark) beer.

3. If you don't like beer then Bamberg also has a UNESCO World Heritage Listed Town Centre. Or that's at least how you can reason visiting Bamberg to another who may not be so interested in your pursuit of good beer.

4. It's good form to have a drinking strategy in Bamberg. Our strategy included crossing the road from Rauchbier Beer house to Fessala

No comments: