Sunday, March 04, 2012

The Espresso Machine of Coffee Bay.

Coffee bay is one of those places off the beaten track that all the travelers were raving about. It's an unspoilt paradise away from it all. And I do mean away. It was a 6hr drive just to the connecting shuttle for another 2 hour shuttle from Durban.

However long it took it was worth it. The scenery was nice. The people were great. It was the first time in South Africa I felt relaxed. Don't get me wrong there was still the stark element of haves and have not. But the local Xhosa people appreciated the backpackers and what it financially brought to their town. Many had jobs as a result.


Ended up extending a day here it was so good. And then also wanted to complete a specific walk to a local natural bridge.

Oh and I learn a valuable lesson. When the guide says duck when climbing into vehicle, really duck. I have a stamp on the forehead to remind me.



Everything here is still at genuine South African prices. 11 Rand for a standard 330 ml can of beer. I've been going high end by sometimes getting an vodka and mixer for 15 rand. I love the prices here.

Oh and a word of warning. If you get an invite to try the local maize based alcoholic drink. Pass. See the below photos. It may help you understand.




No comments: