Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wat where they thinking when they hired the builder

Here I am in Siem Reap. I made the flight the other day.


In the travels of Chad there is no time for resting like tomorrow. Hence I was straight off the flight, dropped off the bag, and straight off to Angkor Wat.

Now for the uninitiated, or the culturally ignorant, like me, I won't try to bore you with the Which Po or the Wat Po is that tour. I've no idea. All I knew is I hired a tuk-tuk driver, for the day who cost me $10 that knew the ''small tour' route. Whenever Sarin (as in the gas), my driver, stopped and said get out I did.


First port of call was of course Wat Po, the crowning jewel of the whole area. First impression. I'd get a second quote on the renovation job. Whoa! It's gonna take a while. The previously tenants left this place in ruins. Or perhaps that's how they liked it.


Second impression going around the sights. When you're looking for a builder of your monument make sure they are clear on the instruction. No use building a monument with 2 foot high stairs if the people expects to climb them are only 4 foot high. I mean how the building site inspectors didn't see this as an issue in the 13th century I can't fathom.

End result was the ruins were about 10 times more challenging than the stairs in Malaysia. Not just because for the second day my driver found more monuments to send me up in the hope I'd take a while.

No comments: