Sunday, August 17, 2008

How to say hello in Khmer

This is how a guy says hello in Cambodian:
"Hello Mister want a Tuk-Tuk"

However that seems to be more Angkor Wat. If you're down south it's more:
"Hey mister you want a Moto"

If it's after dark then it's followed up with
"Wanna a girl"
Or
"Want a smoke"... and I'm a guessing it ain't cigarettes they're offering.

Females. Don't stress I've found out how you say hello too. And it's easier. It hardly changes:

"Hello mister you want massage".

But then again if you're at the beach it changes to:

"Hey mister you wanna buy a bracelet".


Sadly the comprehension courses in Engrish taught in Cambodian schools is in need of help. What part of "NO" they're not understanding is hard to fathom.

And what really gets me is when I say no to mister tuk-tuk driver. Their mate not more than a metre away will repeat the hello script. Leaving thought that the number 2 guy is either deaf, or stupid.

Anyways here's a bit of the Cambodian coastal town of Sihanoukville. As seen through my eyes. Not surprisingly food has featured greatly. Considering a Amok curry like below costs $3 who can blame me.

And how about the view?

No comments: