Monday, August 25, 2008

My apologies to Tuk-Tuk drivers in Phnom Penh

In my previous message regarding my blasting of Jetstar Asia I inferred Tuk-tuk drivers are thieves.

I was wrong. Moto-riders are criminals. The tuk-tuk riders are not the problem.

Well the news of my final night in Phnom Penh for those who did not hear.

I was mugged.

I'm not going to burden this blog with the evil that beset my trip. Instead I point you to a photo of where there are some spare cells for them. Not far from where they robbed me. The photo is of S21. The famous site of a makeshift prison for those who were persecuted by the Khmer Rouge and Pol-pot.

Sadly the cells are of a not so fond time in Cambodian history. But time here would give the moto-riders time to reflect upon their crime.



I hated Phnom Penh because of many things. These moto-riders were just another reason. But thanks to their team effort they are now my number one hate in the world at this very moment.

Looking at the funny side of the incident. How was I to know that the Cambodian Moto-riders had bought the now defunkt Australian Tourism campaign. Sadly their poor English meant that they took a literal adaption of the "where the bloody hell are ya" campaign.

And the other result of the night. I did get a decent game of charades in with the local Cambodian police. Unfortunately when it came down to it they were not good at guessing in English. Whereas I was trying to signal there was 1 moto-rider who took a tourist down a side street to be joined by 2 other moto-drivers friends to rob the tourist of $50. They were still stuck on why I didn't scream. Gees, even I knew you can't talk during charades.

As a gesture of goodwill to my new moto-friends I'd like to make a recommendation to them. They should take my $US50 down to the local petrol station and each suck a bottle a bottle of scotch just like in the photo below. In fact they should spare no expense. Make it a JW Black Label. Bottoms up fellas.


No comments: