Friday, June 22, 2018

I fell in kayaking the Amalfi Coast

I feel like I should go straight to the point all my friends, family, and readers of the title of this post post want me to go. However I will not. As per normal I want to get a fuller description of this day in Amalfi. So scroll a little further if you want to find the much anticipated video of me falling in. In the meantime I guess I'm writing this for myself, as per normal.

This day in Amalfi started with a walk up behind the town to a spectacular nature reserve with waterfall and plush almost rainforest like vegetation. Don't expect to find this spot yourself without a guide. The area is strictly controlled by the Italian parks service and others. We even needed to pass a checkpoint with our guide showing papers of authorisation. Alas it was perhaps more a sign of Italian bureaucracy at work than thoughtful planning to protect a region. Somehow the tourists without guides were still making it inside the restricted zone which angered our guide. The area up here although not famous, as a walk was more beautiful than the famous Path of the Gods. It had us pass by the lemon groves, and old paper mills for which Amalfi was famous for. Lunch on the way back to town was in a converted farmhouse of a local family.
 



After lunch it was time for kayaking the Amalfi Coast. Alas the camera angel on the chest whilst kayaking didn't leave me the best photos. However it was fun. But also very physically challenging. We were two guys in a kayak trying not to capsize. Both of us in our recreational time were cyclists. I don't think they realised that cyclists don't do tandem well. Even though the kayaks are built not to roll you realise really quickly you need to keep abs on, and then consider working as a team when in the ocean kayaking. Waves rock your balance, and as I learnt very quickly, it can all turn pear shaped if you try to reach out to grab another boat. Ends up in a memorable highlight when you do this though.
 


 

  
 

No comments: