Saturday, June 17, 2017

No Kayak, no problem. Grab a old salty in a dinghy

So I joined a short 7 day Busabout tour. Sure I admit I am a bit older than their usual target age. But they are open to the young at heart still. Although Busabout is more known for it's younger target market there is no age limit. Just as long as you understand the style of travel they provide. Until now I had always seen them as just a bus pass provider. Their short tours are great addition for me as I'm not Contiki, and adamant that I'm also not An-tiq-ue. Plus the tour fit into my timetable (Le Tour bound) and goal of going south towards the Algarve. 


Days 1 and 2, Lagos and the Algarve, were always going to be my highlight. Tour set out okay. First stop was a side trip for family photo on western most point of Europe before making for Lagos. Expectations we're quickly set for night 1. Dinner and drinking in the world of no responsible service of alcohol filled with bar staff with English and American accents. For those after a shirt there was the 9 shot challenge at the end of a pub crawl. For me after memories there was not 9 shots. Plus I also had to consider I was not entirely in the timezone. 



Day 2 had confirmed worst fears. No kayaking of the Algarve coast. The weather was fine, but the ocean was choppy enough to make kayaking a chore, not a charm. So we were given a suggestion that we could complete by boat tour be it with less cave entries. Fortunately it was fine by boat. In fact better by boat. No paddling with a hated partner in a dual kayak! We found our dinghy of Lagos and took the best hour long tour for a measly 15 euro each for the hour long trip. Best tour money ever spent. And best of all you got a genuine local "salty" taking the tour. Afternoon was spent exploring the top photographic beach. The second night also offered a back it up opportunity for drinking for some. However most opted for the gelato and crash...




And I couldn't help but show the proof of why a boat was better. Check out these kayakers having "fun" with their partners.


No comments: