Friday, June 30, 2017

Nearly had Hamburgers in Hamburg

I finally returned to Hamburg. Having made a promise a long time ago to some former guests that I'd visit them in Hamburg I finally took a flight back up that way. Here I was thinking finally made it back. So much has changed, gosh their daughter must be like 1 and a half by now. Nope Chad, try 2 and a half. It had been 5 years since my friends had been in Brisbane. Whoops! Seriously that long.

Anyway I scheduled 2 nights in Hamburg as I wanted to catch up with my friends, and I wanted to see more of Hamburg. I had only spend 1 night there 10 years before.

Luckily Valentina and George were very hospitable. They even did a German BBQ for me the 2nd night. I was stoked. After 2 weeks of travel I was hankering for just something with salad! That was an awesome dinner. So great to have friends all around the world. I don't get to see them all the time. But it's good to know I got friends who will catch up whenever we're in the some location.

My days were spent walking around the city and river district. I toured the most recent skyline tourist headline act, the Elbphilharmonie. A building that if you ask locals was expected to cost $70 million but cost $700 million. Whoops.

I also stumbled onto a "Free Walking Tour" of St Pauli as I was along the riverfront. This worked out well. 3 hours of following a guide around the city centre. Including getting the full story of the exploitation of 5 young boys from the UK during the 1960s. An unscrupulous nightclub owner that made rising pop acts play 10 hours straight. Often the same song over and over again. Worked out to be a great way of finding your groove for The Beatles. And yes the Beatles started out as 5 members.






No comments: