Wednesday, February 24, 2016

There are no Kangaroos in Austria

Time had come for me to take a 2hr train ride out of Budapest and onto Vienna, Austria. Importantly the move also signalled another significant change. From here I was down to Hostels not Hotels. The Austrian prices and recent move down of the Aussie dollar certainly made this a more understandable decision.

Within 3 hrs of arriving in Vienna I had met up with some of my former couchsurfers. Although not based in Vienna they had made a trip for a concert that night in Vienna. Interestingly it was the band that had been victim to the Parisian attacks in 2015. They were continuing their tour in Europe and this was the makeup concert for the event schedule that had abruptly stopped. My friends had expected to see these guys months ago. Instead they were off to the concert that night, and it coincided with my arrival into Vienna.

Day 2 of Vienna saw me take to the streets in the morning. I followed the map as best I could to follow the circled list of icons. The standard Church, Rathaus, and Museum building collection. By morning tea I was at the next of the major tick boxes for Vienna. I was in the Sachers Hotel having my Vienna coffee and Chocolate Torte.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachertorte

By lunch I was at the Nachmarkt catching up again with my friends being introduced to this area as they too met with other friends during their Vienna trip.


Vienna has it's own version of the ampelmann. Isn't that sweet. Green men like to be led across the road by women.


And don't worry, I looked inside before deciding upon this place for my Wiener schnitzel experience in Vienna. Can't say about the crowd it gets at night though. So enter at your own risk.


Night skiing at the Rathaus.


Austrian Parliament.


No comments: