Friday, March 17, 2023

Intramuros Manila without becoming impecunious

Manila is a big city. And well a big city with developing country reputational issues. It's reputation is that of bad traffic, pollution, and petty crime. So my plans included only 2 nights of Manila. 2 nights too many for many who have been there before. Unfortunately reputations like cliches exist for a reason. And in the case of Manila although they formed a backdrop to my level of awareness I didn't let them totally overshadow the visit. The traffic just spoke to me of the opportunity there is for improvement through a metro and bus system. Improvement that would lift the quality of life. It's a young country with aspirations. They'll get there.

In Manila my focus was to merely to make sure I was in Manila in time for my departure home. I purposefully made sure I was not connecting flights into Manila the same day to then fly out that night. I then also wanted to show the city some respect. Heck it's the capital for a reason. So 2 nights was like a compromise. I would have enough time to explore a bit of history, and then also could attempt a shopping spree in the multitude of shopping malls the city was known for.

The highlight was easily the Intramuros. I had no idea this area was so huge. I did though fall for the pedicab tour thinking I'd be done within an hour. And well I won't call it a tourist trap, but didn't read the fine print. It was 350php per half hour, not per tour loop that takes an hour. I admittedly took nearly 3 hours and well was quite a bit poorer than I had expected when my rider told me his total. And well in retrospect he had waited outside each time for my to exit each exhibit he had sent me into. No wonder he wasn't pushing me along. He was minting easy money. And well once I'm in there learning history I'm not looking at my watch. I was enthralled with the absolute quality of the precinct. It was a great afternoon. If I was organised knowing how to complete the tour area beforehand I would have just stayed in the cab, gotten the 2 minute explanation at each stop, and kept on going until I had completed the loop. And then I'd of just returned on foot following the path we took. The Intramros is big, but it's a history trail of site you can complete by foot at your own pace. Heck if I'm lucky work might send me back to Philippines and then I can revisit. There were some restaurants and cafes that would have great to just sit and take in the view.

 

Intramuros ended up a much more successful experience than the shopping centres. After all my walking through I brought nothing having realised most of the quality clothing the country makes must be for export, or was too small for my "westerner sizing". I did though enjoy the centres. They provided food courts, coffee, air-conditioning, and a safe environment. Which was good as so many warned me that I needed to be extra cautious.

Oh and if someone from Philippine Tourism is reading. Please, please, please lift your game with the international airport terminal 2. It was the most sad international departure area I have ever encountered at 10pm at night. I was there a captive with 2 hours before my flight. To think I could just sit down and take in a nice meal before boarding was presumptuous. All I wanted was better than the upcoming disappointment of an airline meal. Oh how wrong I was. "Chef Mic" prepared or well repaired my chicken and rice order in nuclear fashion to my dismay. I sat there in the poor mans 7eleven thinking this was my last experience of Philippine cuisine. And this was the best of a bad bunch of choices. A decent international cafe or restaurant would not go astray. Even a Jolibee could have saved this disgrace.    

No comments: