Thursday, July 05, 2018

Nuremberg Trails and Trials


Nuremberg End to the Trail


The end of the trip to Europe this year saw me finish in Nuremberg, Germany. Admittedly I didn't really know much of Nuremberg before arriving. I knew they were the host city to perhaps the most famous legal trials of the 20th Century, the Nuremberg Trials. But I didn't know much of their medieval history. The history I'm sure more Germans would prefer we know Nuremberg by.

Turns out that Nuremberg was shalt we say the centre of Europe for quite some time. I mean the place had its King etc. But it was the fact this place was where the Reichstag met. Basically where your royal courts would meet. And then you also had the burghers that were appointed to look after the municipal city make sure the trade was good. We're talking medieval times. When the power of the salt trade diminished so did the power of Nuremberg. Importantly I picked up a lot of this information doing a tour of the Nuremberg Castle. Very interesting.

More interesting was the development of the Nuremberg castle over time. The place was extremely secure from invasion. So as the area got wealthier kings would come and go the leader of the time would make an addition to the castle.

So Nuremberg was quite a rich city. Perhaps in part the area's history of wealth and identity was conducive to their attraction to Hitler when they faced poverty after WW1. Nuremberg rose to power again etc with the Nazi rally grounds. Which were not really a  highlight I wanted to visit. So I didn't. Plus they were way out of town in reality.

Nuremberg's Grain History


What the Nuremberg area was famous for was the production of wheat and other grains. Think barley for beer production. So Nuremberg's architectural fame has been installed by the buildings which were originally grain storage. I spent my time walking around the old town area, although knowingly rebuilt due to the WW2. What was recreated provided the sense of grandeur and purpose. Even if that purpose was of giving the town executioner a means to enter and depart the city safely. 


  

 


No comments: