Tuesday, July 03, 2018

A day in Passau to Recover


Passau was a bit hilly. I guess I didn't really look at the map in detail when confirming my trip. I had assumed it was all flat and easy access. Well in most of Passau it was mostly flat. But my hotel had a little kicker at the end to get up to. Meant that any time I departed the hotel into town there was the walk back up hill. Wasn't too bad as I was only there one night before I moved to another hotel right down in the old town for the final night in Passau. However context was I had been cycling for days. Once off the bike each day the legs would refuse to do hills. Understandably tour company hadn't led on which hotel I'd be placed into when placing the deposit. So when I booked the extra night I was flying blind. I took as place, in my budget, in an area I though was important. I wasn't wrong with it. Just the tour company took the other option up outside of the city centre, and not on the river.



Passau as a city was great. The city is a place all the river boats stop. This is Grand Central for German river cruising. Makes sense as Passau is where the 3 rivers join up and enter into Austria. Passau therefore is a prime place for history. The Donau as I had learnt was one of the only rivers to go east to west and hence why in the days when horses and boats reigned. Before the trains and cars of today this was a prime trade route. This was where salt was king and money was made. And why all the wars centred on who controlled the river passages. And yes as you can guess there was one of those castles here too. One up the top of the hill. Another climb indeed. But it was worth every step. An wow what a lunch I had there. Another pork knuckle with salad. My favourite. Realisation now was that I was only days out from returning home. Cycling part of the trip was done.









No comments: