Saturday, July 08, 2017

Hanging Out in Honkers

The last stop of my recent overseas trip was a stopover in Hong Kong on the way back.

You see I had friends there to visit. This alone made it the perfect city I had not seen before to stopover in Asia at. And then it just got better. My former flatmate in China decided she could make a side trip for a stopover to say hello too! Awesome I thought.

I had just 48 hours in Hong Kong. Enough time to see some places without getting into much trouble. Heck my biggest trouble was booking the wrong hotel dates before I even left the country. I gave my friends a free stay-cation (travel term for going nowhere).

Anyway the replacement hotel happened to just be the same hotel my university course had discussed in a lecture, The Eaton Hotel. It was right smack bang in the middle of Nathan Road. Unfortunately for me why it came up into the search was that it was actually undergoing renovations at the exact time I had arrived. I mean I didn't get any noise on the 18th floor, and the glass lift was awesome. But the reception had been gutted on the ground floor and a temporary reception installed meaning there weren't the facilities I had read about. No pool even if I was dreaming about having time to use it.

Days were used walking the street and getting Starbucks from the store at the floor of my building. Yes made use of my stay but for not having time to go shopping either. Hong Kong though has my tick of approval for another stay. The food was good. Visited a very famous and very busy Yum Cha for breakfast with my friend as a guide. This was great. I would never had tried this without him. And heck who knew Yum Cha is a breakfast/brunch location.

In Hong Kong I even managed to eat the one item I had researched and looked forward to. The Egg Waffle. Waffle good. And fairly healthy too if you consider there was nothing like extra cream, ice cream, chocolate etc I'm used to seeing when we say waffle. I did though refuse all requests of my friend to convince me we should go find some snake soup.

At night we'd go exploring and then after dinner both nights we ended up at a really awesome rooftop bar for a Mojito nightcap. Nothing like a tasty mint, sugar and white rum nightcap to chill down and salute the end of a good trip.







No comments: