Saturday, January 31, 2015

Bad couchsurfing guests make me angry on the inside

And the winner of worst ever Couchsurfing guest is.... My recent 2 Estonian guests.

I still can't believe how self centred they were.

After offering last minute to host. Their acceptance came with a request if I could pick them up from the airport. The flight landed at 23:30pm Wednesday night! Not wanting to be up all hours waiting for couchsurfers to arrive and to make a good first impression I obliged. After all they implied in their profile request for a couch they'd bring an Estonian gift.

So in retrospect I guess they saw it as 12:15am pick up by driver and hotel check in.

Then next night I was busy until 8pm. I indicated so and suggested we could go for a night drive of Brisbane after. I returned home to find front door not shut properly. Argh! Quick tip. If you are a couchsurfing guest you triple check their security is not compromised.

They arrived back 8:30pm... Straight onto laptops. I felt like saying "Ah excuse me I'm your host. At least acknowledge me". Not wanting to be rude, and giving benefit of doubt due to cultural and language misunderstandings I still suggested the drive. They accepted. As soon as we got in the car they were straight onto their phone's texting. I've had more conversation out of a taxi driver. Heck I was their free taxi driver.

I took them for 2 hours of driving up to Mt Cootha, and walking tour of Southbank, and a stop at Kangaroo Point. Minimal conversation. Perhaps their English was just that bad. But even then you would try to converse. So I returned to apartment. Screw going the extra stop. I didn't feel appreciated. Upon return home I fished for a thank you at my front door by asking, "did you enjoy?". One replied a blank face, and "yes". But no thank you. Where's my thank you?. Conversation over for the night. They went straight to their laptops before I had even shut the front door.

Okay so by now I was a bit pissed off. So I suggested a meet up in the evening. I suggested being here at 8pm to do something. Perhaps a late dinner out, joint cooked meal at home or dessert. I only heard deftly silence, and the rolling of eyes saying why would they want anything to do with me. They had their free bed. Why do I ask for them to join me in doing something? So I cut the silence with a request they let me know by message. Nothing all day. I returned just after 8pm to an empty apartment. They returned at 9pm. Straight onto internet. Dragging conversation was like dentist pulling teeth.

Ok.. written off by now.

Told them Saturday I was busy until evening. They could join me in going into city at 6pm to go watch Asian Cup Final with friends, and possible meal. That would fit into my plans of going to watch the Football final with friends. It would mean a fun night, with or without them. Arrived home 5pm to find no couchsurfers, and fan left on all day whilst they were out. This brings me to my second tip to couchsurfers. If you're not paying the electricity bill don't waste it.

Went out returned 10pm. Couchsurfers asleep. At least they figured out I had unplugged internet due to storm. Heaven forbid they have to down my hotel rating due to poor internet.

Of course kitchen fairy visited throughout to clean up kitchen sink putting stuff away.

So this morning on check out... I've gone in to request they strip the bed, and put sheets into basket so I can wash... I just got the look of "What sort of hotel attendant asks guests to clean up after themselves".

Oh and they want me to send their new bank cards to them when they go down the coast today. They arrive here next week!

They did though give me a small gift as they left. It felt like they paid me a penny.

No comments: