Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hanoi has been changing a lot.

Hanoi had changed a bit since my last visit 3 years ago. Not all the changes are great. My favourite ice cream shop from years ago, Fannys, gone. It meant I needed a new place. So off I was exploring my options. An inspiring shop window display led me into a cafe called Paris Gateaux! Supplier of my energy through the goodness of cakes and a mocha frappe. Not cheap by local standards. But this was no noodle soup.

I was able to see everybody's "Uncle Ho" during my stay in Hanoi this time. Ho Chi Minh in the flesh. He was sleeping. Or well that is what they tell the local kids in school groups.

Interestingly my guide said all the kids that go to the Museleum were the lucky ones. They must have good marks. It's hard to fathom going to see an embalmed old guy as a reward. I on the other hand thought it lucky to wait only 40 minutes to shuffle in.

The grounds around the tomb were quite immaculate, and the historical old house of Ho Chi Minh was humbling. As you can see from the photo school kids were everywhere.

Must admit some of the stories sounded quite slanted. For example I was told that after he died during the war his body was carried each night to the mountains. An egg cup with water would be placed on top of the coffin to make sure the body was stable. Don't know about that! Roads even now aren't flash. But the victors write the history. So this is how story will be remembered. 


Meanwhile I don't know whether there is wedding season, but gees there were a heap. I did learn that one of the delicacies they eat at a wedding is everybody's loyal hound. It's not normally a regular cut of meat. Saved for special occasions.

I found some the below in the markets. Alas someone had bought the head earlier. There is no mistaking this poor puppy will no longer be wagging it's little tale ever again.

Still at least I know to I avoid the buffet if ever invited to a wedding in Vietnam.


Hanoi is still a crazy place. What is just a jumble of electirical wires to us, is normal to them.

Having visited twice now I feel like I'm now onto level 5 of the 1980's game "Frogger". I am pretty good at crossing roads.

The photo of the traffic scene below. We crossed straight after taking the photo. There is no such thing as waiting for the "Green Man" to cross. He was wiped out on the footpath by scooters long ago.

Although normally vey safe considering noone gets any speed up I witnessed 3 accidents in one day. Heck sometimes the top speed the scooters get is on the footpath.




No comments: