Monday, April 02, 2012

I added in Essen

After planning my trip and how many days here and there within the Western side of Germany I was planning my former flatmate Lina added in, "You should go to Essen for a day". So a lesson on Essen is what I had.


I lived it up here. Stayed in a hotel as compared to the normal hostel stops I make when traveling normally. It was a good change. But alas I didn't know anyone in Essen. And it was Sunday night. No one goes out Sunday night in Essen.

Then during the Monday I did a very cultural thing. I visited a historically listed mine site. Zollverien. The experience was somewhat lost on me as it's "Industrial history". Very cold feel. It's not natural beauty. It's not historical architecture. And well I now know it doesn't interest me. To me it was just a former coal mine site.

Alas part the failure was me. Because I don't speak German. However the tourist information people in Essen didn't assist the situation. They suggested I go here on Monday instead of Sunday. As a lot of the other Museums were to be closed on the Monday. Alas they run the English tours only on the weekend. I could only go around the outside of the huge site with headphones. Which alas was deserted thanks to the cold of winter.




No comments: