Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Bunkering down in Munich

After the disaster of a ski day I needed a new plan. Of course I could have stayed with my friends in Austria but then in some ways I didn't want to feel like a burden being injured, and well I was half way across the world. I needed to see and do things. And as skiing wasn't an option I decided to return to what I know and what I felt comfortable with. Hence a return to Munich was inserted into the agenda.

I've visited Munich twice before. Once on a Contiki tour which in included Oktoberfest, and once after as a destination as I hadn't seen Munich. So this time I knew I didn't necessarily need to do the free walking tour. This was good as I could neither walk fast, nor far. Alas the weather also came to haunt me on my arrival into Germany. All of a sudden it decided to get cold after such a mild winter and it was snowing in Munich. Not so welcoming when the day before you've sprained your ankle and you're carrying a backpack.

After a slow snowy walk on slippery sidewalks from the bus station to my hostel accommodation I wasn't up for too much. I wanted comfort food. I wanted warmth. Which was in part why I chose Munich. Home to the Oktoberfest, and the traditional beer halls. Nothing better for a moaning traveller than comforting beer and pork knuckle in a beer hall. So it was off to the Augustiner Bräustuben for Dinner.


I had asked the accommodation staff to suggest a convenient beer hall, different to my previous Munich Beer Hall experiences of Hofbräu and Paulaner. It was though a familiar name none the less having visited the Augustiner brewery in Salzburg just days before.

The next full day I had investigated a trip to see Neuschwanstein Castle. However that proved to be me dreaming of days when I had full mobility as it was confirmed there would be a lot of stairs and walking. So instead I laid low with a trip to the city centre and a return to the Glockenspiel in Mairenplatz.


No comments: