Monday, April 23, 2007

Utopia has been found. But to keep it secret they call it Whistler.

Ah yes I vow that I shalt never compromise ever again if I ever have the choice between Whistler or going to a closer ski resort.

Whistler is the best all round ski resort hands down. No doubt about it.

Wow it was awesome. What I was doing by going to Cypress last month. I never knew the bus ride to Whistler wasn't that much longer. It wasn't even that much harder to arrange. Now I must look back and think about how I could of had 2 other days at Whistler instead of Cypress. I want my 2 days back. Argh!

I actually skied my day on Blackcomb Mountain side of the resort. Reason being that it was the Gondola I caught. In the end it may have been the right choice to considering the Whistler side was on its 2nd last day. Hence would have been packed with last chance skiers. Oh well I don't care. To me its all one resort. It's like going to Perisher Blue and skiing Blue Cow all day. Both have snow and are part of the same resort.

As something different I did a tour of the mountain with the ski mountain guides. I
nstead of skiing by myself for the day, and I knew it'd give me variety for my one day of skiing Whistler. Boy was that a good call. They took a group of us around the whole mountain showing us the best areas of the day, and the absolutely crazy drop-offs, and even some residual powder drifts leftover from their last major snowfall on the Saturday prior. Yeah they had a major dump of 15 centimetres in the middle of April. It's been a crazy season for them. They've had over 45ft of snow this year the guide said. Whereas normally they'll have about 34ft in a season. The snow is still over 2 metres.

In addition to the normal ski runs on the tour we spent time skiing on one of the glaciers. It's rock hard, the snow is dry, but don't get me wrong it was not ice. Perfect groomed run for skiing. The run going from the top of the glacier through to the bottom is about 9kms before you get to a lift. And it was really mixed in variety. I loved it.

And just for anyone wondering. No I didn't do a double black diamond. That would have been suicidal. They're crazy. Although as the guides say, you're fine after the first turn. The guides incidentally aren't allowed to take you on the extreme runs on the tours. It something about safety. Not that our guides were too keen to anyway. Both were on their first days back from injury.

If anyone wants to pay for me to ski, gee, I guess I'll find the time to go again. But send the money soon, as I want to get there asap.


In the meantime let us all drool over these photos I took of Whistler.





No comments: