Monday, June 04, 2007

A Moving Experience and the Big K

This past week has been busy. I spent most nights worrying about my pending homeless status. Not from the sheer fact that I was unable to afford a place to live. Just due to the fact a place to live is hard to get for love or money in this city. Problem is increased if like me, you’re male, and only willing to commit to a month.

Basically the situation was that my previous flatmates Dave and Landon decided to get a friend of theirs to move in as the person I was room sitting for has decided to stay down in San Diego. Their friend had just been thrown out of his own apartment due to a crazed flatmate tearing up the apartment. Yes this was a annoying but not worth fighting over, especially as there wouldn’t be any gain in it.

Anyway after a week of searching frantically I have found a place in Kitsalano. A basement suite shared with 2 others. Most importantly I didn't need to move back to the hostel while I am still ‘living’ in Vancouver. Place is basic but hey, can’t complain. My new flatmates seem to be nice. Kitsalano is a suburb just south of the city centre. Has a beach to walk along, and good shops around. I’ll be able to enjoy the outdoors a bit around after work, as opposed to I could be living in an area where there is little more than an apartment, or even worse, outer suburbia.

Anyways I moved my big stuff there the Thursday night but didn’t stay until last night as the weekend I spent visiting the Nakiska crew in the Big K, Kelowna. It seems that most of the Nakiska crew who are out of the Calgary region, but still in the country, have relocated there. Heaps of work, and summer job atmosphere has attracted them there.

Arrived there late on Friday night. Saturday went to the ‘crusher dust’ beach along the lake. Caught some sun. In the afternoon went to 2 wineries for some tasting. Some excellent Icewine was included in the tasting. But I passed on buying it at a hundred dollars a bottle. Sorry mother, father but I there is none in the mail either. As I explained to the sales assistant, you’ll still love me whether or not I sent you a case of Canadian wine in the mail. Perhaps you can visit there later.

Saturday night went out as a group. Some of the others went to ‘Monster Trucks’ show first, but it didn’t interest me. Although well lubricated that night I was quite willing and able to go ahead with the Sunday morning concept of taking a speed boat out for a spin. Not surprisingly the Kelowna team were not so able to consummate that plan. I was lucky I knew I needed to sober up for the drive home. Hence I started on water later in the night. The others had no such driving requirement and hence were contemplating driving the porcelain bus Sunday morning. No swaying boats for them. New plan has me trying to head back to Kelowna just before the big trip later in the summer to try a speed boat.

The photo with the boat, that's CJ in the photo. My mate from brissy has found a second job sitting on the dock renting boats on weekends. Very Cruisy.

No comments: